Sunday, October 27, 2013

Didier Farms

With Halloween getting close now might be a great time to visit a pumpkin patch.  Recently I visited Didier Farms in Lincolnshire (didierfarms.com) with my younger daughter and son on a fun fall morning.  During the Farm's Pumpkinfest, which runs from mid-September through Halloween, there are a wide variety of activities to keep the kids busy.  Of course there are pumpkins of all types to select and take home.  In addition, there is a hay ride that takes you back through a corn field where you will see a variety of scarecrows dressed as favorite characters and spooky scenes, a petting zoo, and carnival rides.  Most of the rides are appropriate for kids probably 8 and younger.  My four year old just could not get enough of them.  Most of the rides, including the hay ride, take 3 tickets, pony rides and camel rides are 5 tickets, and I believe the petting zoo is 7 tickets.  Each ticket costs $1 so the day can get pricey in a hurry if you don't pace yourself.  Everything is completely stroller friendly and babies can go on the hay ride for free if they ride on an adults lap.

The farm is open weekdays from 9 to 5 and weekends from 10 to 5.  Weekends get really busy there but weekdays can also be quite busy since a lot of school groups come for the day.  In addition to the rides there are donuts, hot apple cider, and stuff off the grill for lunch.  My one complaint with the place is that there are no indoor bathrooms so I had to have my four year old watch the baby in the stroller while I dashed into the porta potty and she had to go with the door propped open so she wouldn't be alone in the bathroom and I could still keep my eye on the baby.  Not a huge deal but definitely inconvenient.

When we were at Didier Farms it was quite busy but we never had to wait in line to ride any of the rides and there was plenty of seating at picnic tables when we took a quick donut break.  Since we went, my daughter has been talking nonstop about how much fun she had so we are looking forward to going back with the whole family next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment